Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hair Fair 2009

It's once again time for the wonderful Second Life Hair Fair, 2009 edition. Every year, the SL hair designers get together and display their newest offerings, and the whole affair is so huge as to take up several sims. As exciting as it all sounds, the wonderful thing about it is that all the sellers here will donate 50% of all proceeds to Locks of Love, an organization which provides wigs to young cancer patients whom have lost their real hair due to chemotherapy treatment. This is a worthy cause, and I would ask that each of you visit and make at least one purchase at this show. Cancer is a horrible disease, affecting the lives of so many people. Cancer does not discriminate; it will infect anyone, of any race or creed, and of any age, be they good or bad. Until we can come up with a cure for it, the least we can do is to show our compassion for the afflicted, lest we ourselves someday fall victim to the curse.

I'm at the fair as I write this, and I had intended to do a huge write-up on it, but considering the lag here, it would prove to be an enormous project. Instead, I have decided to list the designers here and leave it at that. I had also intended to collect landmarks, but perhaps due to lag, the few landmark givers present did not seem to be working for me.



What I WILL do, however, is I will go through the list of vendors, and over time, give coverage to those I find of interest and provide landmarks upon review. Not all of them appeal to me, and to be honest, I don't feel I can give an objective review of those which tend to cater to the kitty-ears-and-horse-tails crowd. Sorry. I'm sure they can't relate to my preferences either, so BLEAH! (*sticks tongue out*)

Despite the lag, it's all very exciting. I found that it is a bit easier to stay in one place and "cam" around the various shops (move my view using my camera controls). The only problem with this is there is a limit to the distance from which you can select objects, which, if too far away, will prevent the acquisition of demos and the purchase of any products until you actually move within range. Still, it is a way to avoid those laggy moments where you are trying to fly along and you just can't get anywhere.

Being a fan of short hairdos, I am always anxious to find something new. I am never above using styles intended for men, which brings up a point I have mentioned before: I have NEVER seen any realistic men's hairstyles in Second Life, ever. Aside from rock stars, men just do not wear their hair long any more, not like in SL. I would love to see some SHORT men's hairstyles, military cuts, even. I suspect that they would sell like crazy. I have mentioned this to designers before, but to no avail. Perhaps I will have to figure out how to make decent hair myself. I just don't want to use my time here marketing and selling! *sigh*

I grabbed a ton of demos, but I didn't dare try any of them at the fair. I figured I'd leave before the lag got the best of me; at one point I couldn't even enter one of the four quadrants because the sim was full. I managed to grab three out of four landmarks, although the northeast one didn't allow taking a LM for some reason (I was able to get one nonetheless from a demo I picked up on that sim! Yay!).

Here are the four regions, including a list of vendors on display in each sim, and a landmark to that section. If you can't TP to a given area, you might want to try landing at an adjacent location and walking in.



Hair Fair '09, Southwest Quadrant:

Magika
House of Munster
Battle Angel
Digital Eyes
Heading to Dreamville
Analog Dog
Exile
Damselfly
Snipz
Adam n Eve
LALA Moon
MADDesigns
Calys Creations
Hair Solutions
Kiss
Katat0nik
Lamora
Find Ash
Rock Candy
ChiChickie
Maitreya
DV8
Inorite
Vixen
Tukinowaguma
Tekeli-li! dark artistry
Flavor Designs
NebuchadNezzar - NDN - Industrial Cybergoth Gear



Hair Fair '09, Southeast Quadrant (courtesy of Dernier Cri):

Dernier Cri
Argrace
Zobovic
Hype
Lag Designs
Booperfunk
Dreads n Threads
Dark Mouse
Amacci
Zyrra Falcone
Blood Royal
Alice Project
Redlic
Simplee Britnee
Sky Shop Hair Resort
Onigiri
Miau Haus
Audacity
Baskin Bobbins
Tea Lane
Jolie Femme
Waka & Yuki
Hair Influence
Twisted & Spoiled
Nushru
The Good Life
Sweet Hair
Designs by Katey
a.C Store
The Stringer Mausoleum
Sparle Skye Designs
Honey
Innovations
Vignette
Shag
Draconic Kiss
Sirena hair
Curio Obscura
B Spot
Defectiva
MIU
Mirada
FOAM



Hair Fair '09, Northwest Quadrant:

Clawtooth by Clawtooth
Beauty Avatar
Spirit
DeadKitties
Tiny Bird
Goldie Locks
Mela's
Fuel
Kin
Diversity
Gwendolyn Cassini Creations
Ingenue
Wasabi Pills
Milestone Creations
Posh
Glittercake
Here Comes Trouble
Curious Kitties
TRUTH
Philotic Energy
Mia Snow
Vanity Hair
Curio
Raspberry Aristocrat
Head Mistress
Refuge
Bish Hair
Pixelated Dreams
Mau & Mej's
Fascino
BiZaRRe Hair & DeMiNaTioNs
Carlucci Designs
Rosy Mood
Decoy
Excess Androgyne
Sari's
Biedermanns Hair
Tekuteku
C'est Moi
JE Republic
House of Heart



Hair Fair '09, Northeast Quadrant:

Nodoka
Pirate Arts
Lazy Places
Aitui
George Street
Deviant Kitties
Dicord Designs
Bryce
Hairstyles by Tami McCoy
Pazazz Hair
Black Maria
Aoharu
Fashionably Dead
GroovyGirl Designs
U-Neek
DK's & Pixelthreads
Filigreemotion
Calico Ingmann Creations
SLink


Now, that's a TON of hair designers to look at, and many of them I have never heard of before. I intend to check them all out though, so stay tuned, kiddies.

BTW, the Hair Fair will run until July 4, so you should still have plenty of time to check it out, and PLEASE make a donation! If you purchase just one item, half of your money will be going to help a child in need. PLEASE! It's important.

Until next time,

Jamie :)

No comments: